Wednesday, June 1, 2016

TDKPH [Review] Batman: Rebirth #1

BATMAN: REBIRTH #1 review by Sebastian Soriano


Once again, I don’t do spoiler reviews so if you haven’t read this one yet, you’re welcome.

To start off, this book showed a version of a certain villain that I haven’t yet seen of him before. (Unless of course, DC retconned this character this way and I just haven’t read it yet) Writers, Scott Snyder and Tom King, seem to have used a series of either time jumps, flashbacks, or some other form of non-linear storytelling techniques to get the story moving. To say the least, Batman Rebirth #1 is intriguing. You’d want to know where this will all end up. I do have to say though, that while reading it, unless you’ve been reading Batman books from the New 52 to run or earlier, you’ll feel like the only way to completely understand this comic, you have to have read some other Batman titles from the New 52 run and judging by the fact that I have read MOST of the Capullo/Syder run, I assume that the information I seek is found in either the Batman and Robin books, Batman Eternal, or Robin War. That is not to say that I didn’t like this book though. They talk a little bit about Bruce's father and how Thomas Wayne’s beliefs have shaped Bruce’s. The plot goes between a little bit of the conflict of the present and a run-through of what Bruce plans with what to do with Duke Thomas. That part. The part about Duke, is to me, very exciting. I don’t want to explain why, but it makes the book worth the read.

Art-wise, Mikel Janin’s art felt very transitional. It still kind of felt like I was looking at Capullo’s art, but slightly more realistic. Don’t get me wrong. It was great art. I just felt like the whole thing still felt like a Snyder/Capullo book at least visually. This whole book actually felt very transitional. As I read it, I felt the Batman reigns being handed by Scott to Tom King, but from what little I’ve read, Batman is in very good an capable hands.

Overall, I can’t say I hate this book even slightly. I just don’t understand it as well as I wish I could have. Still very excited to DC Rebirth though, and still very very excited for Batman #1, so if you can still find this book, pick it up! 

3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment