Saturday, June 11, 2016

TDKPH Book of the Week -- Detective Comics #934 Review by Sebastian Soriano

Detective Comics #934 Review


Once again, no spoilers. I want you to buy this book. I loved EVERYTHING about this. The threat plaguing Gotham is big and you can feel it. Batman’s city’s about to get overrun and he can’t save it by himself. This book is basically about Batman’s efforts to make sure that the vigilantes of Gotham get the proper training and guidance they can in order to keep themselves and the city safe from what’s coming. We get some familiar characters back like spoiler and Tim Drake’s Robin. You’ll see how these two characters have grown since the last time you saw them. Spoiler being several times more capable than she used to be and Tim Drake growing into the consummate tactician. Cassandra Cain is also in this in one which is nice since I’ve really only read about her once. If there’s one character though, that really stole the show here for me, it was Clayface. I’ve never been so sympathetic to the character in my entire tenure of reading comics, but I really felt for him in this one and his role in the book will really get you excited. Speaking of role’s that’ll get you excited, Batwoman, personally my favourite female Bat, is recruited by Bruce to be Batman’s PARTNER to help train the younger vigilantes. How awesome is that? How often do you see Batman looking up to someone’s talents so much that he asks him/her to co-lead the Bat Family with him? Batwoman also reacts to Batman differently. She isn’t intimidated by him nor is she particularly a big fan of his. I love this about her. You feel how equal the two are and I’ve never seen Batman work with someone who seems to be so on his level. Obviously, this book’s got me very giddy. This book even inserts a good amount of humour and fun into it! Batman even smiles in it! Oh God, don’t you just love Rebirth?

Art-wise, this might be the best art I’ve seen of Batwoman at least, since JH Williams III, and all of the art is generally so beautiful. Props to Eber Fierreira and Eddy Barrows. This book really came to life well with their art. I’m a huge fan now. I am freakishly amazed by this book. I want more and I want more now and I’m sure you will too.

PERFECT 5/5. A must have.

- Sebastian Soriano

No comments:

Post a Comment