Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Rev by Seb! The Killing Joke

Batman: The Killing Joke Review

 


Now, I’ve read this book and it really hit me. It’s one of the most well-written graphic novels in history done in a way that only Alan Moore can do it. It’s dark, it’s gritty, and it’s hopeless, but ironically paired up with really clean crisp, artwork. This book is probably the best Joker-centered Batman book ever and fans went nuts when they found out WB was planning on making an animated movie on it. Of course, the question is, does it measure up to the hype? Well, I’ll get to that.

You see, whenever WB attempt to adapt graphic novels and famous DC storylines into animated movies, they’ve always been pretty hit or miss with it with movies such as The Dark Knight Returns Parts 1 and 2 hitting it out of the park and blunders like Son of Batman being, well…blunders. But of course, DC and WB knew exactly what was at stake with this and brought in superstar writer, Brian Azzarello, to write it and I have to say, he did a pretty good job. They also gave us an all star voice cast with Tara Strong as Batgirl, Ray Wise as Commissioner Gordon, and of course, Batman and Joker as all diehards know them, Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill

I was kind of taken aback with the first act of the movie, cause it isn’t Joker-centered. You actually don’t get to see the Joker until you’ve been through half the movie. It actually left me wondering, “Where’s the damn Joker? I thought I was watching the Killing Joke”. The first half focuses on the relationship between Batman and Batgirl. I won’t elaborate so as to not spoil, but despite the fact that I’m not too into the idea, it’s very appropriate for the movie and really helps build what happens later on. After you get through the first half of the movie however, it’s all Killing Joke as you know it. Very faithful, very scary, very depressing, and it’s beautiful. To me, this is the best one of WB Animations' best efforts.

The only thing that doesn’t quite measure up to the book though are the visuals. They’re pretty poor compared to what I would have wanted. It reminded me of the animation from Under the Red Hood and though I love the movie, it is still not at par with the caliber of visuals I would’ve wanted for this particular film and did not quite capture the feel of the Killing Joke’s comic art.


Despite all that though, I came out of all of this pretty damn happy. As a fan, of Batman and the complexity of his relationship with Joker, justice, and sanity, this one really satisfied me. But this movie is not for the faint of heart. This movie is brutal, dark, and violent and should be kept away from children.

For what it is, I give Batman: The Killing Joke a 7.5/10. It’s a great film for fans of the book and the characters. Just keep an open mind and don’t expect YOUR expectations to be met. Just take the narrative as it is and you’ll love it.


No comments:

Post a Comment