Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Rev by Seb: Suicide Squad

Suicide Squad Review:

No spoilers from me, folks. As usual.

Let's start with what I liked about this movie:


This is the first truly “fun" DCEU movie which is a really good change of pace from Man Of Steel and Dawn Of Justice. Both WB and DC made sure that we’d walk out of this one smiling.

The acting was phenomenal with everyone from Margot Robbie, Will Smith, Cara Delevingne, Jared Leto and literally everyone else playing the characters and parts well and in a manner that was original and accurate with how these characters are supposed to be like. These actors fit this roles like a glove which I expected and definitely got.

The make up and effects were pretty great with the latter falling short sometimes. Adware Akinnuoye-Abaje’s Killer Croc being all prosthetics and all the costumes just looking really good. These characters looked as great as their acting. The action sequences were really brought to life too with strong CG. I say strong because I HAVE seen better. I have no real complaints about the CG though apart from some of the Enchantress scenes.

The action scene choreography was also really well-done. Superhero movies have to deliver great action sequences and this one definitely doesn’t disappoint, so there’s that.

The easter eggs that reference the comics are also pretty awesome. You’ll see what I’m talking about during one of the flashbacks.

And as a musician, the movie’s entire soundtrack was just wonderful ear candy.

With that being said, here’s everything I didn’t like about the movie:


The cutting and editing was GARBAGE. Let me repeat that one for everyone in the back. THE CUTTING AND EDITING WAS GARBAGE. Many scenes ran too fast and some important scenes for developing the main plot and subplots weren’t even there, making for a huge lack of character and story development. It all moved too fast and felt very rushed. Long story short, this movie suffers from the same sickness as BVS’s (Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice's) theatrical cut.

The overall screenplay just felt poor to me. It didn’t live up to the hype. Though fun, it wasn’t fun enough. Though serious, it wasn’t serious enough. The chunks that were taken out were chunks that if left, would’ve made this movie not just good, but great. Sadly, we didn’t get that version of this movie. We got this mess.

My overall take on this movie:

Somewhere out there, there’s an “Ultimate Cut” or a “Director’s Cut” of this potentially great film that will probably be released on blu-ray when the time comes, I’m sure. Or at least I hope. That’s the version of this movie that I know I’ll like and the one that I know the fans like me will like better too. This one though, this very tampered-with cut, this obviously corporately tampered-with cut, get’s a 5.5/10 for me. I’m sorry. Get it together, WB. Let DC and it’s directors and creative team do their work and fire the idiots that edit your movies.

No comments:

Post a Comment