Wednesday, May 25, 2016

TDKPH Book of the Week -- DC Universe Rebirth #1 by Sebastian Soriano


DC Universe Rebirth #1 Review:

This will be a spoiler-free review because this book is an experience that can only be enjoyed properly if you go through it yourself.

When I first heard about Rebirth, I was stoked and excited for the sole reason that they were rebooting back to #1. I did not know what to expect material-wise and honestly, I’m a very young comic reader so I didn’t really know what I SHOULD expect. Sure, I’ve read a few classics like Watchmen, Dark Knight Returns, most of the New 52 Batman run, and a few others, but by no means am I a comic expert who’s read decades worth of DC comics with the knowledge of the previous continuities to boot. I got into comics, DC Comics in particular, in probably the same and the most clichéd way most people in my generation did: I watched The Dark Knight trilogy. I tell you this so that you have an idea of the type of comic book reader you are dealing with as you read this. I am a new comic book reader with a very true love for it and with that being said, this book was phenomenal. I was not yet a reader when the New 52 started and definitely not one when the pre-new 52 comics came out so I don’t really know in complete detail what happened in those previous continuities, but Rebirth definitely brings newer readers, like me, up to speed.

The first few pages caught me off guard because it starts with characters I haven’t really read about and was very nervous because I was not previously familiar with said characters. How could I give an effective review if I never really knew about the lore of characters like Wally West? But you know what? Every single question I had, all my why's, what's, and how's were all answered with every turn of the page.

Comic books, as I’ve always known them to be, is a medium that blends both visual and literary story telling into one piece and never in my time of being a lover of this art form have I seen such a perfect blend of the two. This book is divided into 4 chapters and each one has it’s own distinctive tone thanks to the superstar artists artists in this book, namely: Ethan Van Sciver, Gary Frank, Phil Jimenez, and Ivan Reis, who’s art works seamlessly with Geoff Johns’ writing. Johns, I should state, is the new co-chief for all of DC’s upcoming movies and writer of several of DC’s best storylines such as Blackest Night, Brightest Day, The Flashpoint Paradox, and Batman: Earth One. So if you want an idea of how DC’s movies are going to feel like, I highly recommend you pick this book up.

The DC Universe is getting more expansive, but it definitely doesn’t feel crowded. The quality of the work is all there in this one. None of it feels rushed and no parts feel shoehorned. No cheap tricks or gimmicks. Just great storytelling. Older fans will probably feel a very deep sense of nostalgia and if you’re a new fan, will feel very welcomed. This book is not elitist or intimidating in any way. It was obviously written so that old and new fans alike can come and enjoy these new set of stories that DC's coming up with. Rebirth is definitely up to a good start.

Well done, Geoff Johns. Well done, DC. This book is definitely a 10 out of 10 for. A must read for any comic book fan!


No comments:

Post a Comment