Wednesday, February 3, 2016

TDKPH book of the week -- Batman Europa #4

BATMAN: EUROPA #4
Written by: Matteo Casali and Brian Azzarello
Art by: Giuseppe Camuncoli and Gerald Parel

Spoiler-free review
TDKPH rating: 6.5/10

1:50 variant by Gerald Parel
"He still laughs. I'm not sure if it's in the face of death... or if his is the face of death."

Aesthetic-wise, this book is probably one of the best out there. Too bad I couldn't say the same for its story. Batman Europa proves once again that its interior art is unparalleled. Gerald Parel is killing it! It is only know that I came across his name. But after doing my research, he's been doing covers and interior art for Marvel Comics since 2010.

As far as the story goes, I was really disappointed with it. No, it wasn't that bad. But it was one of those stories wherein you can already predict the ending. The big villain reveal was a surprise to me, but you know, just like any other Batman-Joker stories, no matter who the main villain is, it always boil down to Batman and the Joker.

Come to think of it, the earlier issues for this story already dropped some clues as to who the main villain is for this book. The name of the virus should be sufficient enough to give you some speculations. I had the correct speculation, but when issue 3 came out, I thought I was wrong. The anatomy of the villain in disguise threw me off.

There's really not much to talk about this book--which really disappointed me. It is one of those stories that you can read over at Legends of the Dark Knight. For me, it was over hyped and if we're not going to consider its artwork, the $4.99 price tag is a bit steep.

Overall, Batman Europa is not that bad. If they come up with a deluxe edition for this series, then the bigger format would definitely compensate everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment